Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] What are your thoughts on filesystem monitoring?

2008-11-06 19:08:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] What are your thoughts on filesystem monitoring?
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:47:56 -0700
The majority of our NFS mounts are not backed up on the server that's
mounting them.

We have "cross mountpoints" checked but "follow nfs" unchecked.

We mount all NFS servers to a central machine and back it up there.  We
consider this more managable than trying to decide on what server a
multiply-shared nfs mount will get backed up and where it should be
excluded.  For example, a common filesystem for us is used to distribute
software across nearly a hundred servers.  To backup it up 100 times
would be insane.

We really need to consider changing from a central NFS backup server to
using the NDMP method of backups but haven't implemented yet.

-M