Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MS-SQL Agent Backups

2008-10-23 14:50:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MS-SQL Agent Backups
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:22:47 -0400
I'm setting up MS-SQL 2005 backups with the SQL Agent and I need some more information on clearing the transaction logs.  In the past we've used the built in wizard in SQL to configure backups to disk, then run clean up and maintenance.  We'll be replacing the backup piece with Full and Incremental backups with Netbackup's SQL Agent, but what tasks do we need to keep in SQL?  Do the Full and Incremental backups in Netbackup truncate the transaction logs or do you have to run the "truncate transaction log" script separately?  Does anyone have any "best practices"?

Thanks,

-Jonathan Martin
Intersil Corp.
Servers and Security Operations