Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-22 03:14:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:01:22 +1100
We use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and "allow multiple streams" everywhere,
regardless of the O/S.

Where there is a database that needs to be backed up seperately, it
will have it's own policy just for that database, on that client, and
the backup selection list might look like :

/opt/oracle
/oradata/db1
/oradata/db2
/oradata/db3

Then, we back up the rest of the client in a more generic "catch all"
policy ... say a policy named "unix_system_prod", which contains many
clients and has ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in it's selection list.

We setup an exclude list for that particular client, for only the
"unix_system_prod" policy, which contains the entries listed above, so
that we're not backing up the db files twice.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is a good thing! It means never having to say "Umm...
sorry... we don't have a backup. The Unix guy didn't tell us when he
added that /super_critical mountpoint 3 years ago."