Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware VCB policy

2008-10-21 23:19:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware VCB policy
From: "George Winter" <george_winter AT symantec DOT com>
To: "Renee Carlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:02:33 -0700

Hi Renee.

There are a couple of reasons why this might happen.

Most common issue is DNS.  For example, the Virtual Center server might not be resolving correctly from the VMware Backup Proxy.  You can easily check this by adding the hostname of Virtual Center Server to the Backup Proxy’s “hosts” file.

You might have a permissions issue.  What account are you using when you define the Virtual Center credentials?  If you are not using the Virtual Center server “administrator” account you might not have been granted the appropriate permissions within the Virtual Center server.  Look in documentation that can be found on VMware’s site to find out what permissions are required.

Another cause could be that the VCB Framework is not actually installed on the Backup Proxy.  From your description, this does not sound likely but I thought I would mention it.

You should also make sure that the Backup Proxy has been defined on the Master Server Hosts Properties.

One way you can see what NetBackup is doing when attempting to contact the Virtual Center server is to manually run the “bpvmutil” command (found in netbackup\bin on the Backup Proxy).  This is the syntax for this command:

bpvmutil  0  NOCACHE  0

NOTE:  Use the number “zero” twice, not the letter O.  Also “NOCACHE” must be all caps.

The output of this command points you to a text file that is created.  If nothing (or very little) is written to this file then NetBackup cannot communicate with the Backup Proxy.  Maybe a firewall issue?  You can also create a bpvmutil log directory to obtain more information related to this command.

HTH

-George Winter