Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-21 19:54:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:21:34 -0700
nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com said:
> I'm looking into using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive with "allow multiple
> streams" so I can stream out my unix clients by filesystem thus getting more
> i/o throughput by having the backups read from multiple physical disks at the
> same time.

This is what we do here (NBU 6.0MP4);  We use the same on both Unix and
Windows clients, and it seems to work well.  On the systems where multiple
streams are allowed, NBU seems to do the right thing with generating a
new stream for each Unix mount-point, etc.

To separate out application or database filesystems which need special
treatment, we place policy-specific "exclude" files on the relevant clients,
and add separate policies to handle the special data.

Regards,

Marion