Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup-Windows on MSCS Clusters

2008-10-21 12:51:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup-Windows on MSCS Clusters
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:13:08 -0400
"I think by "sliver" he means a small NTFS volume that you can attach the other
NTFS volumes (cluster resources) too.

-Jonathan"

That is exactly correct.  We have so many disks we need to mount up that we
just gave up on using the drive letter for data- it's just a 1GB sliver volume,
with all the actual data under it as mount points.

 Michael- I covered this in some detail in this forum back in Feb, and it looks
like you were in on that conversation- I don't have much to add to that (you
can find that thread on backupcentral.com-I don't want to rehash for everyone
at this point).  Suffice it to say that we are running or have run FlashBackup
on Windows 2003 64-bit file clusters using mountpoints in every release of
Netbackup since 5.1, and it works (yes-I have done restores).  We did skip from
6.0 MP4 to 6.5.1, then to 6.5.2a- but I can vouch that not only does it work on
all those versions, it works the same way.

I will re-emphasize one point, because it was our biggest stumbling block- make
sure you have the latest VSS patches from Microsoft. They have tended to issue
frequent updates in the past, and applying those usually solved our problems.

Tom