Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] commited memory growth on RHEL 4 and NBU 6.5.2

2008-10-15 01:29:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] commited memory growth on RHEL 4 and NBU 6.5.2
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "List Veritas List" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:17:20 +1100
Hello folks,

We are running NBU 6.5.2 on RHEL 4 on Intel X86_64. The master server
is a dedicated NBU master, there is one dedicated NBU Media Server
(also RHEL 4 x86_64) and several RHEL 5 x86_64 SAN Media Servers.

The master has 8 GB of RAM.

I am seeing strange constant growth in "commited" memory usage, on the
Master server only. Apparently this is memory being requested by an
allocation, but not actually being used.

It doesn't appear to be causing any problems, other than that memory
utilisation graphs look pretty whacky....

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nbumemoryusagela5.png

This is not occuring on any of the media servers. I can't determine
what process is allocating the memory.

It's a standard RHEL 4 install with no other applications installed of note.

I didn't actually notice it until our Linux admin installed this Munin
monitoring tool which produced the graphs linked to above, at which
time the commited memory was over 300GB. As you can see from the
graphs, a reboot obviously clears it all out.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cheers,
Dean