Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Reduce Volume Pools

2008-10-13 14:55:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Reduce Volume Pools
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:23:30 -0500

Simon, this is a good plan.
Don't worry about mixing retentions, NetBackup will not do that unless you have that option enabled (which you said you don't).

Only caveat I would give is to pace yourself as much as  you can. If you have a lot of volume pools, the initial grab on scratch will be pretty high and until your older volume pool tapes start expiring, you might put yourself in a situation where you use up all the scratch.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

10/13/2008 08:46 AM

<Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Reduce Volume Pools

All

Quick question; I am attempting to reduce the amount of volume pools that are in use for each policy we have.
I want to group them together, but one thing I noticed is that they have different retentions.

I used to think that was a big "no no", but could someone advise if this is an issue in 5.1 MP5. I know the default is turned off.

The aim of the excercise is to try to use the smallest number of pools possible, and maximize the amount of data into the tapes, so they get full. I kind of would like to fill the tapes as much as poss

Any feedback would greately be appreciated

Thanks

Simon

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it
for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or
falsified.