Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Frequency of LTO-4 Tapes

2008-10-12 20:11:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Frequency of LTO-4 Tapes
From: Harpreet SINGH <harpreet_singh AT ctl.creative DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:56:47 +0800
Dear Sean,

We are using Oracle Applications, as per audit requirement we do the
restore / dbverify (Oracle database) on Month End tapes. Once done (i.e.
restore, open the data base, dbverify, clone the application and take the
necessary screen shorts)  these tapes will be sent to Offsite for 07 years.

With Warm Regards
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Harpreet Singh Chana

Phone  :   (O) 6895 - 4326
Fax       :    (O) 6895 - 4991
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Notice
privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient,  any disclosure,  copying or distribution of the message,  or
any action taken by you in reliance on it,  is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this message in error,  please delete it
and contact the sender immediately.  Thank you.

             McCormick
             <netbackup-forum@
             backupcentral.com                                          To
             >                         VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

             veritas-bu-bounce
             s AT mailman.eng DOT aub
Subject
             urn.edu                   [Veritas-bu]  Restore Testing
                                       Frequency of LTO-4 Tapes

             10/11/2008 04:54
             AM

             Please respond to
             VERITAS-BU@mailma
             n.eng.auburn.edu

I was hoping anyone might have some experience with this.  Currently we
need to perform test restores of duplicates that are routinely shipped
offsite to Iron Mountain for storage.  We need to test them after they
return in order to ensure that our shippers (FedEx, UPS, etc.) aren't
subjecting the media to any environments (x-ray, temps, etc.) that might
compromise the LTO-4 (Ultrium 4) tapes.

What we need to determine is how often it is needed to test this returned
media.  Are there any norms that the industry uses?  Or is it pretty much
just a subjective thing?  We were considering 1, maybe 2 times per year.

Any suggestiong are greatly appreciated in advance.

Sean