Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Resources needed to tame NetBackup

2008-10-03 14:36:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Resources needed to tame NetBackup
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:18:37 -0400
I've got a two man Engineering/Admin team, and between 1-3 operators on duty at
any given time to help manage our 1 large implementation and 4 other small
international implementations.  Of course the Operators also have other
responsibilities as well, and one of the Engineers/Admins also spends half his
time doing UNIX Admin work.

The way you implement and manage your environment as a whole will make a big
difference in how efficiently it runs, and how many people you'll need to
maintain it.  Since NetBackup usually has it's fingers in all the pies, you can
see how it will have a direct affect on how many people it takes to keep it
running as well.  One good rule of thumb though, never have only one person who
has in-depth knowledge of any one system or application.  If you lose that
person, for whatever reason, you?ll be hurting until you can get another person
into that roll, and get them familiar with the environment.