Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [Slightly OT] Federal Gov. Guidelines/Standards on Retention

2008-10-02 16:39:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [Slightly OT] Federal Gov. Guidelines/Standards on Retention
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:18:55 -0400
I've dealt with HIPPA, FDA, and other legal issues (despite what some people
seem to think, SOX has no say in this matter). Usually the retention is 7
years; though if it's a law-suite, and you haven't destroyed the tapes, the
lawyers will make you re-inventory them and restore everything on them (lesson:
destroy or re-use your old tapes).  I had one situation were we had to make a
special e-mail system backup every week and send it directly to the lawyers
with an infinite retention (that was a big hassle).

I've seen the 7 years be a yearly backup, a monthly backup, and in a few rare
instances, a weekly backup.  It really depends a lot on what kind of data you
are dealing with, and the business or area of government you work in.  My
suggestion, keep the data for a short a period of time that you can while still
satisfying the needs of the business.  If people come to you and say they need
to keep some bit of information indefinitely, tell them they had better not
delete it then.