Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore performance questions in NB

2008-09-29 01:04:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore performance questions in NB
From: rascal <rascal1981 AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:46:41 -0500
Good day all,

So here is an interesting question regarding restore performance.  First, I'll lay down the scenario and then I'll ask the question to help give all of you Netbackup Gods a good base. {:-P

Right now, I have a configuration like this:

Master = solaris 10/gb nic config w/ matching media servers
fibre connected to stk9310 w/9940Bs'
clients = mostly aix w/ oracle 9i-10gr2

for every database, there are two policies created:

daily full backup
hourly logs

the full backup goes to a set of tape drives and a set of media.  The tape drives are broke into storage units based on the media server and the media is a large pool.

The logs go to disk and then are duped off to tape at a later time.

Here are my problems:

1.  Drive contention:  During a sample DR exercise, I launch multiple DB restores and run into restores waiting on 1)drives 2) media
2.  Restores run slow:  I have looked at network and that has been tuned out pretty well but I think this boils back down to problem 1

Here are my questions:

1.  Since my databases all touch the same tape drive pools, is there anyway to break that down a little further to gain performance on restores?
2.  If I broke out the media pool more, say on the grades of the DB's being backed up, would that help performance?
3.  Is there a way to tell Netbackup which set of drives to use during a restore and if so, can it be setup somewhere in the policy or just during the restore?
4.  Is there a better way to configure policies such that I can get good backup/restore performance without sacrificing both?
5.  Drive contention is always an issue; I have multiple drives available and it seems like even at peak performance, backup or restore, I have a couple of drives sitting idle; any ideas on how to fix this?

Again, thanks for any suggestions/pointers/things to read/prayers/etc... that can be given on this.

--
Matthew MCP, MCSA, MCTS, OCA
rascal1981 AT gmail DOT com

Define Trouble: