Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User Archive Skipping Files?

2008-09-26 10:57:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User Archive Skipping Files?
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:42:26 -0400
I have no proof this is happening but that question has come up and I'm going to have to prove this one way or another but I thought someone might have an idea here.

We've got a "User Archive" running from a server that is basically a script that calls:

bparchive -p POLICY -L C:\path\tp\logfile.txt -w -f C:\path\to\txt\file.txt

The filelist above is a directory - d:\archive for example.

Lets say this archive job kicks off and starts writing files to tape, and while that job is running additional files are written to the d:\archive directory.  Will the archive pick them up / ignore them or (dramatic music) remove the entire folder without backing up the additions?

I've run archives for a while now but never pondered this.  I know if the archive can't read a file, it suceeds with a status 1 and removes nothing.  On the other hand, if the archive reads everything it successds and removes the folder.  The question really is, what happens when there is a status "0" with regards to files added after the job is started?

Ideas are welcome.  I'll be testing this shortly.

-Jonathan