Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can Netbackup import raw Backup Exec files?

2008-09-09 11:37:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can Netbackup import raw Backup Exec files?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Kalusche, Dan" <Dan.Kalusche AT andersencorp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:23:03 -0500
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Kalusche, Dan <Dan.Kalusche AT andersencorp DOT com> wrote:

I've run into an unusual request regarding a restoration…
We've been requested to restore a backup exec image onto one of our systems.
We are currently running 5.1 MP5.
The backup exec images are files that were shipped to us on disk.  Is there any way to import that into Netbackup?

I've imported BE created tapes before, but never raw backup files.

The short answer is to upgrade NetBackup to the current release.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295433.htm

In NetBackup 6.5, the importing of images written by Backup Exec for Windows was supported with versions 7.0 through 9.1 via use of the Backup Exec Tape Reader.

Beginning with the NetBackup 6.5.1 release update, this support was expanded to include regular filesystem (NTFS) images written by Backup Exec versions 10.0, 10d and 11d as well.

Beginning with the NetBackup 6.5.2 release update, ALL Backup Exec 10/10d images can be imported using the Backup Exec Tape Reader.

There are plans in future NetBackup release updates to support images written by Backup Exec 12 as well as database images and VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) snapshot images written by Backup Exec 11d; however, as of the 6.5.2 release update these images cannot be imported using the Backup Exec Tape Reader.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org