Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP5 on RHEL/CentOS 2.1

2008-09-08 11:17:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP5 on RHEL/CentOS 2.1
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Sven" <aluoor AT gmail DOT com>, "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:06:01 -0400
Also remember the NBU installer is brain dead. If you did NOT already
have Xinetd or Inetd installed when you installed NBU it ASSUMES you
have inetd and creates an /etc/inetd.conf which has zero effect since
inetd itself isn't there to read it.

It appears you do have xinetd running.   If you installed NBU before
installing xinetd it might be worthwhile to try reinstalling again - I
had to do that on a server once.

You might also want to look in /etc/xinetd.d to verify the thing using
the bpcd port is in fact bpcd and not something else.  (That is if you
have something else on that port NUMBER it would show up with bpcd NAME
because that is what /etc/services has even if it isn't actually the
bpcd config that is using it.

Also you may need one of the compat-libstdc++ packages installed.  You
do when running the 2.4 kernel client on 2.6 kernel machines but I don't
know if you need it for 2.4 kernel machines like RHEL 2.1.  (I don't
think you do because the point on 2.6 kernels is to put the libraries
that would have been there on a 2.4 kernel.)

We're running 6.0 MP4 client on our RHEL 3 machines which have 2.4
kernels.  We even run RMAN and the NBU Oracle client for this.

That machine has the following as well:
compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.128
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.128
These are not the ones we installed on 2.6 machines.