Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Lifecycle Policies

2008-08-28 18:22:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Lifecycle Policies
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: "'Steven Stewart'" <steven_stewart AT ncsu DOT edu>, "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:09:02 -0500
SLPs can essentially mimic all the functionality of vault without the nice
reports that vault can generate. Though in order to use them, you have to have
"intelligent" hardware (VTLs, AdvancedDisk, Tape Libraries, etc.) instead of
"dumb" hardware (BasicDisk).

You can pretty much craft the SLP to stage to disk, destage from disk,
duplicate to disk or tape, etc. all from a single SLP and apply it to multiple
policies. Kind of nice really, but disappointing that in order to use this
feature you pretty much have to buy expensive hardware or add-on products.