Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Account to run with Netbackup 6.5.x

2008-08-16 20:06:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Account to run with Netbackup 6.5.x
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <jcode AT yahoo DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:56:18 -0400
I don't think so.  NBU has to have root access to be able to read and
write all directories.

In the last S-OX environment I was in I don't believe we tried to do
this with NBU.   Also in the FDA "Validated" environment (which makes
S-OX look like a walk in the park as far as regulations go) that I
worked in prior to that we ran NBU in root as well.

Letting NBU run in root isn't an issue so long as you're restricting who
has access to NBU to the same subset of folks that have root access
already.   You then need to have documented policies as to who is
allowed to do what and when.  (That is to say just because someone CAN
do things in root doesn't mean they SHOULD become root without good
reason - policies and monitoring can assist with insuring compliance.)