Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to backup recursively a folder ?

2008-08-13 17:54:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to backup recursively a folder ?
From: <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:40:19 -0600
This may be the last two weeks of experience talking here.

We upgraded to 6.5.1 and starting having very long queue times.  Investigation showed that there was a fairly consistent 30-45 minutes between when a job "requested resources" and when Netbackup actually granted resources.  Adding 30 minutes to every job, when you run almost 4000 jobs per day, was killer.

It was suggested that this was a problem that was fixed in 6.5.2.  So I upgraded to 6.5.2 and the queue time problem went away.  It replaced it with a bug, though, were all my Oracle backups with a 24x7 application schedule would die at midnight.

July 28th I opened a ticket, described the e-track number & the tech note number and it took until Friday 8/8/08 to get the now infamous nbpem patch.

Today was the first day I really had a chance to look at the results - queue times are back at 30-45 minutes for resource requests AND the 196 errors are still occurring at night.

I just reverted 6.5.2 nbpem binary so I only have one problem to deal with.

Three phone calls & an email to support today and I've yet to receive a callback.

It's my opinion, beaten into me, I'd suggest, that this 6.5.2, 6.5.2a, & 6.5.2a-patch has been a bad set of binaries.

(Sol 8 master, extensive use of STU-groups, 20 media servers)

-M