Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)

2008-08-06 12:21:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:07:28 -0400
I've heard that it's not a good idea to use SSO with VTL's.  I'm looking for
specifics as to why, and what kinds of problems it can cause.  Any personal
experiences with specifics would be helpful.  Thanks.

We are using a Quantum DXi5500 (emulating ADIC i500 and dlt7000's per Quantum?s
recommendation) and SL500 for physical tapes to go off-site.  We have 3 Media
servers and 2 SAN media servers, plus the Master that also acts as a media
server.

I had some problems with tape mounts on the DXi not getting satisfied when
doing multiple reads, but since it has had a complete Firmware refresh and it
seems to be working much better now.  I?m not sure if the issue was due to
using SSO or not.