Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks

2008-08-01 12:33:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:16:54 -0500
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com> wrote:
Thanks for that info.  I wonder why the Symantec support rep I talked with yesterday made it sound like there were no plans to support ZFS filesystem backups in future releases unless a lot more people pushed for it ? Could he be referring to officially supporting ZFS rather than fixing the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES issue ?

I would challenge that claim - I suspect the support rep you talked to didn't know what he/she was talking about.  After all, ZFS ACLs are officially supported as documented in the client compatibility technote at ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/278064.pdf.  There's nothing in the technote that says that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will fail to discover ZFS volumes.

That said, since Symantec acknowledged the bug with an ETRACK, and fixed it, it is obvious that they're is committed to supporting ZFS.
.../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org