Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.x / 5.x Catalog Recovery

2008-08-01 09:52:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.x / 5.x Catalog Recovery
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "Fluharty, John" <jfluharty AT AdexisStorage DOT com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:35:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Fluharty, John wrote:

> I am in the middle of upgrading from 5.1MP4 to 6.5MP1.  They have a master
> and 10 media servers, all HP-UX.  Each media server has an Oracle db, so we
> are forced to do one at a time and in the off hours.  This upgrade process
> will take several weeks because of their change control process.
Ouch.

> The question is this.  During the time we are in a "hybrid state", 6.5 master
> with some media servers 5.1 and some 6.5
You should open a case with Symantec, the master could be 6.5 (are you sure
you want to go to 6.5 or something more stable, 6.0MPX?) and the media servers
could be 6.0, but I am not sure you would want to run a 6.5 master with 5.1
media servers.

> what is the DR procedure for recovering all of the media databases using a
> hot catalog backup?
Why would would you do this and not just upgrade the software?

> Does the hot catalog backup grab the 5.1 media databases, or does it need to?
This is a good question, I do not know.

> What is the recovery procedure for these media databases?  What exactly does
> the "nbpushdata -modify_5x_hosts" command accomplish?  The Hot Catalog
> recovery wizard walks through the catalog and EMM recovery but does not run
> the 5.x recovery.  I am having trouble finding this procedure.
Good questions..  but back to my original question, why not upgrade the
software in-place?  What you are describing sounds like a complete
re-installation of the operating system / etc - then you would/may need to
perform this sort of recovery, is that what you are doing or are you just
upgrading the software?

Justin.