Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM Pseries backups over IVE

2008-07-31 17:42:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM Pseries backups over IVE
From: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:21:55 -0400

Just wondering if anyone has done LPAR to LPAR backups of IBM P6-series boxes across the IVE (Integrated Virtual Ethernet).  We’ve got a bunch of P570’s coming in the door and what I’m thinking is something like this:

-          Each LPAR should communicate to the other LPARs on the same frame via the IVE and never leave the box, this should enable very, very fast LPAR to LPAR communication.

-          The NBU licensing is per frame thus could make each LPAR it’s own media server but managing that many media servers adds overhead on my side and making each a media would probably drive up HBA costs.

-          So one media per frame backing up the other LPARS on that frame as clients.

-          NET_BUFFER_SZ will definitely need to be tweaked, in theory we should be able to get several hundred MB/s per frame.

-          I believe this will work without creating any dedicated virtual backup network.   Without any special configuration or required interfaces I believe it will know what is local and send traffic appropriately.

Anyone ever configured Pseries backups this way?  I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find any BDPs for backing up this hardware.

Geoff Stafford

Barclaycard US

Data Protection Engineering

office:

mobile:

Barclays
www.barclaycardus.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.