Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Drive Multiplexing

2008-07-29 10:14:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Drive Multiplexing
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jeremy Finn" <jeremy.finn AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:52:59 +1000
I don't really know why you would be getting 5 streams per mount point. I have never seen this. But then, I haven't messed with include and exclude lists like you describe.

Why not just setup a policy with the five mount points you want to backup specified in it's selection list? With "allow multiple data streams" enabled, you *should* get one stream per mount point. If I remember correctly, you will need a NEW_STREAM directive before each mount point in the selection list. (it's been a while)

NEW_STREAM
/mount_point_1
NEW_STREAM
/mount_point_2
etc

Then you can throttle the amount of streams you actually want mlutiplexed to tape at one time at the schedule level or the storage unit level.

Symantec's advice seems wrong to me. I guess they misunderstood what you are trying to achieve. Turning off multi-streaming in the policy will mean the whole backup is a single stream, as you are seeing.

Cheers,
Dean