Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Could you read my tape? I threw it out my car accidentally and you caught it. BackupExec/Netbackup

2008-07-25 21:45:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Could you read my tape? I threw it out my car accidentally and you caught it. BackupExec/Netbackup
From: "Siano, James C" <james.c.siano AT lmco DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:30:11 -0400

If I lost a tape – say SDLT or LTO-x – that was written with Backexc 9.0 and someone on this forum  found it….had the write hardware…and either a version of BackupExec 9 or greater, or, an instance of Netbackup…..could you read my tape?  The tape is non-encrypted.

Could you read that tape with the “ntbackup” iteration on a plain jane Windows XP workstation given hardware was available?

Could you do it if the tape was encrypted --- and had as long as necessary to attempt to crack the encryption.

Thanks.