Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SYSVOL Restore of a Domain Controller

2008-07-11 13:44:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SYSVOL Restore of a Domain Controller
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:19:01 -0500

I had an Engineer ask me to restore the C:\Windows\SYSVOL folder from a domain controller that was decommissioned a few weeks ago.  When I restore the folder to an alternate location, the log shows 25 attempts at renaming and relocating 25 files (for the restore) and after each attempt I see the following entries.  Each file name is different but the result is the same for each of the 25 “files.”

I eat, breathe and live NetBackup so my basic OS skills have fallen by the wayside.  Is there a way to restore the SYSVOL folder to an alternate location.  I tried to restore the C:\Windows\SYSVOL folder but even my successful Full backups showed an empty folder.  I looked at the System State backups and saw a SYSVOL entry so I’m assuming SYSVOL is part of the System State backup.  Is there a way for me to recover this from backups?  I’m concerned about checking the check box that says “Overwrite if the file exists” because I don’t want to overwrite the System State on my target.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way,

Randy