Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration

2008-07-02 14:16:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:54:41 -0400

Well – I’ll agree with Curtis.

In large organizations unfortunately the backup tool isn’t the only one that will let you back door into root.  However, one has to have policies in place that make it clear that administrators of these tools (if they are not also the System Admins) aren’t allowed to do things outside the scope of the tool.

Handing people direct root login implies they have equal rights to a system as the SAs and my experience at my current job has driven home what horrible can of worms that assumption is and how hard it is to overcome it.

Making folks request sudo access to various commands makes it clear they are being given limited access and more difficult for them to say “I didn’t know that wasn’t allowed” after they do something untoward.

It won’t get rid of malicious intent but it does help to tamp down on “experimentation” without change control.