Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration

2008-07-02 13:48:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT redstor DOT com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:20:43 -0400

I’m afraid I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you, there, Ed.  I trust a new backup admin in that I trust him not to circumvent the security that I have set up.  (OK, Trust but verify.)  That’s not the same thing as saying “Well, he’s the backup guy, so he can easily get root if he’s a black hat, so we might as well give him root.”

The backup admin is often a junior person, and handing them the complete keys to the kingdom just because it makes his/her job easier isn’t something I’m interested in doing.

So what’s the official non-root admin answer for 6.5?  I didn’t realize the non-root-admin script was gone.

Curtis Preston | VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 | C: +1 760 419 5838 | F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com | www.glasshouse.com