Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Quick Erase Question

2008-07-02 11:16:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Quick Erase Question
From: "Ellis, Jason" <jellis AT abaris-inc DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:57:45 -0600
No it doesn't, as the DDR cleaning cycle will only clean those blocks
that can be erased since the data no longer exists. Data that is still
duplicated somewhere on the DDR is left alone. Those blocks that can be
cleaned are less likely to be duplicated since they can be cleaned so
quickly, stale data, on the other hand, like file system files, will be
around forever.

Part of the problem in going with the VTL option of the DDR is that you
have to still manage tape in that you want a very small scratch pool
tape rotation to maximize your DDR file system cleaning cycle. With the
NAS option this would all be transparent, but with the VTL option the
data on a virtual tape is only marked available for cleaning when the
file is truncated. The best way to truncate the file is to run a quick
erase, which essentially re-writes the headers of the virtual tape.

Jason Ellis