Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy Information Migration

2008-06-19 13:49:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy Information Migration
From: "Stuart Liddle" <stuart.liddle AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT Redstor DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:45:09 -0400

Paul,

This is precisely the same type of thing that I discussed a while back.  Symantec SHOULD have something like this, but they don’t.

What they do have is the ability to do the migration through the use of their command line, but it would have to be scripted by you to do it.  You mention a few of the commands that are needed for this.  In fact, at my previous job we had a couple of scripts that would do this.  Now, before you ask for a copy, please realize that those scripts were the Intellectual Property of my former employer and I do not have copies to share.

Basically, you would need one script to do an export of the policy information into a csv file.  This csv file could be then used to move the policies to another NBU system where another script would be used to import that file to create the new policies.  If desired, the csv file could be modified to change any aspects of the policies that are being migrated.

I can tell you that the following NBU commands are used for the scripts:

bpplclients

bppllist

vmpool

bpstulist

bppolicynew

bpplsched

bpplschedrep

bpplinclude

bpplclients

bpgetconfig

bppllist

We had a limitation with our scripts that only allowed the use of frequency-based schedules and not calendar-based.  Other than that, we used this method to migrate policies between backup systems.

Not much more to say about it except that this is something that Symantec SHOULD have available for their customers, but they don’t.  However, all of the tools are there for anyone to put something together in a couple of scripts like we did.  I won’t say it’s easy, but it can be done.

-stuart