Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] bulk import of images

2008-06-13 14:57:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] bulk import of images
From: "Nick Majeran" <nmajeran AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:42:46 -0500
I just completed one that I wrote in Python, which does both phase 1
and phase 2 imports.
All phases are multi-processed; it will spawn concurrent processes for
each instance of bpimport (and others) and let Netbackup manage the
tape drive resources.

It also works on a best-fit approach, where images (after phase 1) are
logically grouped together in batches based on the number of slots in
your library.  For example, say you have 250 tapes to import, and you
only have a 100 slot library, the script will minimize the number of
loads and unloads so that the library is as close to full capacity as
possible.

It works okay, but I haven't done extensive testing; maybe four or
five runs and I'm still finding bugs.

-- nick