Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restores changing binary files

2008-06-11 16:10:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restores changing binary files
From: David_Lowenstein AT sd.vrtx DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: 11-Jun-2008 12:50:00 PDT
Okay, I have a weird problem here...Netbackup 6.5 on Solaris 10.

We had to restore a bunch of gzipped files to a host a while back, and they
all came back with CRC errors and wouldn't gunzip. The fix was to restore
the files to a different host, then scp them over. Then they would gunzip
just fine.

The client had 6.0mp4 software on it at the time this backup was taken. The
restored files have different md5sum/cksum output than the originals but
are the exact same size.

I upgraded the client to 6.5 and did some test backups and restores.
Restored binary files still have different checksums. Text files seem to
work fine.

The symantec tech support person seemed to think it was the filesystem, but
I've done restores to two different kinds of filesystems. I restored to
both vxfs (what it's on currently) and ufs, and got different checksums and
corrupt files each time.

Any ideas?