Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New Environment & Design Specifications

2008-06-03 14:19:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New Environment & Design Specifications
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Jackson, Todd" <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:59:42 -0500

Although your environment is significantly larger than ours, if I was in a position where I could setup a backup environment from scratch I would seriously consider if I really wanted to invest any more money in tape.  We were writing all of our data to LTO2’s 2 years ago and since then we have got rid of tape completely, backing up all of our data using 2 appliances from Data Domain which then replicate (and deduplicate) all that data to 2 more like boxes at our DR site.  Removing tape from the equation has significantly shrunk our backup windows and reduced our RTO’s and RPO’s.

I understand that disk based backup isn’t for everyone but now that NBU 6.5 has introduced it’s OST option, it’s even easier to manage replication through the NBU interface.  You could also think about utilizing your existing tape infrastructure for offsite tape copy once the data is duplicated at your DR site.

Mark Glazerman

Desk: 314-889-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to