Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU - Quick Question

2008-05-20 09:10:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU - Quick Question
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:53:00 -0500
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:45 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external) <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:

Just curious really, got a backup job that takes 3 hours and is is streamed and uses Multiplexing to LTO3 Tapes.

I am going to create a DSU on this Server (which will be a seperate disk volume connected to the Windows Client) and see how long it takes for the backup job to run.

My question is this.... do I keep the streaming in place, or should I just reconfigure my policy to backup the single volume in one chunk.

That depends on where your bottleneck is.  If a single-stream read from disk saturates your client, then there's nothing to be gained by multi-streaming.  Multi-streaming will add load to the client.  We've found that 32-bit Windows clients feel the load a lot more than 64-bit clients.  With multiple volumes being backed on a single 32-bit client, we've even seen Windows tip over on large file systems.

Don't rule out FlashBackup even when backing up to DSU or DSSU - the savings are still there on file systems with a large number of files.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP