Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility

2008-05-14 04:59:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "Iverson, Jerald" <Jerald.Iverson AT invesco DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 04:42:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Iverson, Jerald wrote:

> should an ndmp backup performed on one platform be able to be restored
> to another platform?  example: can an ndmp backup done on a netapp be
> restored to an emc celerra nas device?  or is ndmp just a protocal for
> backup software to initiate/control backups, and the actual "stream" of
> data going from a volume to tape is proprietary to each os/vender.  each
> os/vender could then only restore from their own backups, but they would
> at least be using ndmp common commands from the backup software.
>
> does anyone have any success stories on cross platform restores?

CommVault's product is 'supposed to be able' to restore an NDMP stream to a
*windows* host.

For NetBackup though, as far as I know (and has always been the case) NDMP
can only restore to an NDMP device.  As far backing up from one vendor NDMP
to another vendor NDMP I cannot vouch for this as I have not tried it.

Justin.