Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility

2008-05-13 23:13:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility
From: "Staub, Doug" <rstaub AT amgen DOT com>
To: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 19:41:53 -0700
Darren - I concur, but let me make a distinction.  The Solaris ufsrestore
utility and reading a NetApp NDMP image (which uses a similar format to
Solaris' ufsdump utility) are compatible (mostly).

This being said, I did not require a NetApp to do the restore using this method
- in fact, I did not require Veritas either, only Solaris and an attached AIT-3
drive, BUT given an ideal scenario (AIT-3 drives attached to a NetApp filer), I
would have rather used Veritas natively to perform the NDMP Import and Restore
to guarantee a proper restore of the data.

Do other NDMP-supported NAS use different formats?  If so, do they also require
same-platform to do the restores?  Just curious - my only NDMP experience has
been with NetApp.

-Doug