Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How can I archive data offsite inexpensively?

2008-05-05 21:51:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How can I archive data offsite inexpensively?
From: Dominik Pietrzykowski <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:37:01 +1000

Are you able to copy to newer media types or maybe upgrade to newer drives ?

Your 9840s hold about 20GB, this is tiny by todays standards.

You should consider the following which hold a lot more:

9940Bs hold about 200GB - 400GB (depends on the compression ratio you get)

T10Ks hold about 500GB - 1TB (depends on the compression ratio you get)

LTO3s hold about 400Gb - 800GB (depends on the compression ratio you get, we're getting about 900GB !!!)

LTO4s hold about 800GB - 1.6TB (depends on the compression ratio you get)

All these are a huge leap ahead on what you have, especially the LTO4s, I'm not sure you'll know what to do with yourself if you upgrade to them !!! But there's a huge cost saving to be had eg we currently pay about $50AUS per tape for our LTO3s. So if you upgrade, you should be laughing atleast for the next few years until you need higher density tapes.

Regards,

Dominik