Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing Master Server Platform

2008-05-02 11:30:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing Master Server Platform
From: "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT Redstor DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 16:12:07 +0100

Folks,

Our company has decided to change Master Server platform from v5.1 on Windows 2000 to V6.5 on Solaris 10.  We have a large catalog with retention times of several years on the images and 2000 plus LTO-1 tapes.  The plans also included moving to LTO-4 and introducing disk.  I have identified three options for moving forward:

  1. Upgrade the existing 5.1 system to 6.5 and merge/move catalog to the new 6.5 Solaris platform
  2. Import the “essential” media from the 5.1 system to the new 6.5 system
  3. Run the 5.1 system in “restore only” mode until images expire

Option 3 will mean upgrading to 6.x anyway to ensure continued support and the requirement could run to 5-7 years which seems to discount it.

Option 2 will still involve hundreds if not thousands of tapes and could take months?

Option 1 seems the best way forward but will I need Symantec to get involved?  Is it possible to recover the catalog and NBDB from one platform (Windows) onto another (Solaris)?  One issue that comes to mind is compressed images.  I know we compress after 40 days and suspect I will have to uncompress on source system before migrating anyway!

Has anyone got experience of Option 1 that they can share?  Have I missed an alternative approach?

Regards,

Paul Esson
Redstor Limited

Direct:               +44 (0) 1224 595381
Mobile:          +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:          paul.esson AT redstor DOT com
Web:            www.redstor.com

REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay
Aberdeen
UK
AB11 5AR

Disclaimer:
The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality.