Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link

2008-04-30 17:56:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link
From: Norman_Ellis AT discovery DOT com
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:44:20 -0400

Well if money is no object and you really want a DR solution then the best in my humble opinion is to have a dual node VCS global HA/DR cluster between the two sites and configure NBU as a cluster resource. This also assumes you have libraries and or storage devices with like media drives so that in the event of a disaster of your primary site, you can recall your media and place it in the library in the DR site. This way your NBU catalog is as good as the last replication cycle of the VCS. If you are using strictly disk between the sites with cross replication then of course you are as good as the last replication cycle there as well. But truthfully the best DR solution is one that's right for your companies business requirements and if that's what you seek you should spend the $$ for proper consulting with NBU. Or I bet Curtis could be hired for the right price ;-)

Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/30/2008 05:12 PM

Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy <anepomn AT gmail DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy wrote:

> Dear Gurus,
> What is the best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link?
>
> I will have a tape library on each site.
>

> - Should I purchase 2 NetBackup servers and manage them separately?
> - Is it better (or cheaper) to purchase NetBackup server for a primary
> site and media manager for the remote site?
>

> Thank you,
> Aleksandr

2 masters and manage separately so if one environment goes down, the other
will continue to run

Own the landmark Planet Earth series on DVD!  Find more great gifts by shopping online at http://discoverystore.com

This e-mail, and any attachment, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, copying, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Discovery Communications, LLC.