Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (41) network connection timed out

2008-04-30 09:02:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (41) network connection timed out
From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck AT habmalnefrage DOT de>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:38:10 +0200
Hello.

When I run a backup job, I get a "(41) network connection timed out"
error.

The backup job triggers a bpstart_notify.$Policy_Name script. In this
script, I have a

        sleep 900

statement. So that this doesn't cause any problems, I increased the
BPSTART_TIMEOUT in /opt/openv/netbackup/bp.conf on the master+media
server. I also restarted all the netbackup processes (I ran
/etc/init.d/netbackup stop && /etc/init.d/netbackup start). In the
"Client Properties" of this client, i set the "client read timeout"
to 1000. Restarted netbackup afterwards.

But I still get this error message.

BUT: I only get that error message, when I backup to tape. When I change
the schedule of this policy so, that it stores the backup stuff on a
"filesystem" policy storage unit, I do not get that error message.
However, backups to tape work just fine, when I decrease the sleep
value from 900 (to 1, for example).

Q: Would anyone know, why I get those (41) error messages, when I have
the large "sleep" set and backup to tape? Or why do I *not* get those
error messages, when I backup to disk (with a large sleep)?

On the master server, there's a
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpstart_notify.Unix script. There's no script
bpstart_notify.$Policy.$Schedule. The exact same script also exists on
the client.

Using NetBackup 6.0MP4 on Solaris 10 (client and server). There's just
one server - it acts as master & media server.

Thanks a lot,
Michael