Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] bpdbm acting wacky -- NB 6.0 MP5

2008-04-29 13:35:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] bpdbm acting wacky -- NB 6.0 MP5
From: "Sponsler, Michael" <Michael.Sponsler AT ngc DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:08:17 -0500
See...that's the thing.  Symantec is not straight forward with the proper Master Server hardware recommendations.  It's side stepped answers and vague responses.  I guess the fact is, they don't really know what to recommend with your Netbackup domain reaches a certain size, and load.

We didn't have the same issues under Netbackup 6.0 MP4.  But at the same time, we've ran Netbackup 6.0 MP5 for some time before we actually saw serious system performance issues.  All four of the v440's 1.5Ghz CPU's get pegged out with dozens of bpdbm processes running.  Considering the problems many people have talked about concerning bpdbm and 6.0 MP5, I'm moving to Netbackup 6.5.1.  Until I exhaust "software patches and upgrades" I will be unable to get management to swing for a shiny new server.

--
Mike Sponsler