Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination

2008-04-27 23:11:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:58:01 -0400
CommVault is doing file-level dedupe.  Their point is that we already
have the file on tape, why back it up again.  What you're asking about
is sub-file-level dedupe, which would be silly to copy to tape in it's
deduped format, for all the reasons others have stated.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies

PD