Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Netbackup from catastrophic failure of Master Server

2008-04-17 15:42:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Netbackup from catastrophic failure of Master Server
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:17:45 +0000
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:22:14PM -0600, Taylor, Morgan CTR USAF AFSPC SLG/GPS
wrote:
> I am trying to recover my NetBackup and system data (catalog db and
> system partitions) from my tape library. My master server (UNIX) crashed
> and was unrecoverable.

What version NBU?  If you were at 6, do you know if you were doing only
hot, only cold, or both types of catalog backups?

> I have reloaded Solaris and rebuilt my Partitions. I do not have the
> data anywhere else. (Screwed up config I know, but I didn't build it) I
> have been through the disaster recovery section of the manual. I cannot
> find my catalog tape. I cannot get NetBackup working correctly. (I am
> going to have to reinstall it)

Best is to reinstall netbackup so that it is working.  Especially if you
have a jukebox.  Once done, if you don't have a record of the catalog
tapes, you'll have to search your tape collection for them.  For cold
catalogs, use 'bprecover -l' on all of the media until you find your
most recent catalog tape.  Then you can use bprecover to recover from
it.  If netbackup is running, you can run 'bprecover -l' in a loop.

> I need to know how to find my catalog Tape?????

Without a record, you have to search the tapes you have access to.  If
you haven't changed the catalog tapes lately and you're using barcodes,
I'd start at the lowest numbers and work up.  I've walked into a lot of
sites where it was never rotated.  So the catalog tapes were XXX000 and
XXX001.  Compare the dates and recover from the most recent one.

If you're doing hot catalog backups, the procedure is different.