Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup of exchange using "wrong" name

2008-04-17 11:41:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup of exchange using "wrong" name
From: Jon Bousselot <jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net>
To: James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:13:56 -0700
James,

I had the same setup and the same problem in NB5.x and Exchange 2000.  I
suspect the agent was looking at the mail database and seeing the
hostname of the server only.  The quick solution was putting the primary
interface of the system on gigabit and living with the performance hit
during the backup window, which was late at night.
I never found a method to implement backups of exchange, like you
describe, by looking through this list or the Veritas site.  Possibly
due to the method by which the exchange system was built, the policy I
used to backup the filesystems used the FQDN, but the policy for the
mailboxes and mail store used the short name.

I think we left the backup network on the box for filesystems, because
it wasn't a big deal to have a couple of extra gig ports consumed, and a
few years later we were forced onto Notes.  Problem solved.

-Jon