Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Auburn vs Netbackup forums- Was: sniff...bpgp isgone from 6.5

2008-04-10 20:10:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Auburn vs Netbackup forums- Was: sniff...bpgp isgone from 6.5
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:56:58 +0000
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:30:55PM -0400, Stuart Liddle wrote:
> I (and others) are looking for something that will Export a policy or
> policies to something like a csv file.  Then manipulate that file if
> necessary and Import back into the system.  You know, tweak the storage
> unit here and the schedule there...  If you can do it for one policy,
> then you can easily use it to make new ones or move them from one system
> to another or make bulk changes.

How would you want it to look?

Right now there's a single text file for all the simple items in the
policy (backup type, Pool, STU, ...), there's a single file for the
clients, there's a single file for the include list, and then there's a
directory with files for each schedule.

The only one of those that seems incredibly cryptic is the "Calendar"
file within the schedule (assuming you're using Calendar backups).  The
others have pretty good variable names.

I don't think having a single CSV would be nice to work with due to the
multiple client, backuplist, and schedules possible in a policy.  If you
do that, you end up with something like the output of 'bpdbjobs
-all_columns' and parsing it becomes very difficult.