Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?

2008-04-10 17:26:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?
From: "rcarlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>
To: "'Marion Hakanson'" <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>, <jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:07:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Marion Hakanson [mailto:hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:22 PM
To: jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net
Cc: rcarlisle; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net said:
> Renee,
> I thought that EMM database was small, but I guess the size depends on a
lot
> of things.

EMM database is usually pretty small

> Can you give more information about why the Sybase database doesn't like
> Solaris x86?

Did not say that Sybase does not like Solaris x86...just that we have seen
very poor peformance from any Sybase database we have put on the thumper
system.

I don't really have more details...the peformance was really bad, we pulled
it off.  Based on trying a few different applications with Sybase databases
on the Thumper, I would just recommend against it.  Other people may have
different opinions, that has just been my experience.

In addition to the performance, at this point you cannot run the BMR
database on X86, so you can't take advantage of the free bmr with 6.5 on the
thumper either.

I'm considering doing this, too.

Note that while I'm unencumbered with actually having tried the EMM on our
Thumper, we do have Oracle db's running on similarly slow SATA storage
(500GB+ drives, 7200RPM).  Performance is good enough for our needs.

I'd also like to hear details about the Thumper vs EMM/Sybase issues;  It
is well known that certain ZFS RAID layouts are poor performers for random
read accesses, for example, so the filesystem configuration details would
be relevant.

A couple other thoughts come to mind, as well:

(a) I would expect it would be a best practice to store the EMM database on
    a separate ZFS pool from that used for bulk DSU purposes, too.

(b) Contention for RAM between ZFS and netbackup itself might become an
    issue with heavy disk I/O to the DSU filesystems.  There is some tuning
    of the ZFS cache size (ARC) which can control that.

So, please, more info?

Regards,

Marion