Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?

2008-04-10 15:01:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?
From: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
To: jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:21:44 -0700
jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net said:
> Renee,
> I thought that EMM database was small, but I guess the size depends on a  lot
> of things.

> Can you give more information about why the Sybase database doesn't like
> Solaris x86?

I'm considering doing this, too.

Note that while I'm unencumbered with actually having tried the EMM on our
Thumper, we do have Oracle db's running on similarly slow SATA storage
(500GB+ drives, 7200RPM).  Performance is good enough for our needs.

I'd also like to hear details about the Thumper vs EMM/Sybase issues;  It
is well known that certain ZFS RAID layouts are poor performers for random
read accesses, for example, so the filesystem configuration details would
be relevant.

A couple other thoughts come to mind, as well:

(a) I would expect it would be a best practice to store the EMM database on
    a separate ZFS pool from that used for bulk DSU purposes, too.

(b) Contention for RAM between ZFS and netbackup itself might become an
    issue with heavy disk I/O to the DSU filesystems.  There is some tuning
    of the ZFS cache size (ARC) which can control that.

So, please, more info?

Regards,

Marion