Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Linux Master Server

2008-04-09 19:09:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Linux Master Server
From: Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Austin,

I had been using Sun Solaris/Sparc servers until 2006 when I started
doing disk-based backups and de-duplication.  Neither the OS nor
the hardware (a Sun V240) could handle the backup/deduplication load (The
performance was dismal).

I now have 4 active backup servers each of which handles 14 active backups
and 2 duplications concurrently with loads less than 5.  These servers
are the Sun X4200 (dual-core opteron cpus) with 2 emulex fiber hbas.
Each hba is connected to a 3TB Nexsan SATABoy disk array and 8
LTO drives (4 LTO4 and 4 LTO3) via Brocade Silkworm 3900 fiber switches.