Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Measuring redundant backup data

2008-04-09 09:21:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Measuring redundant backup data
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Michaels, Keith R" <keith.r.michaels AT pss.boeing DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:03:29 -0400

“unnecessary copies” made me remember to say its important to plan on restore time as well as backup time.

While it may be “redundant” to have all your files on every backup it sure saves a lot of time when you only have to restore the LAST backup.

That is to say that theoretically you could eliminate all sorts of redundancy by simply doing a full backup when you first install then do CumulativeIncrementals from that day forward.   2 years later when you finally crashed you could restore the original full and all the intervening CumulativeIncrementals to get back to where you were but you’d likely have gotten there just as fast by reinstalling and rekeying all the missing data.

Most people strike the balance by doing Fulls once a week and either Incrementals or CumulativeIncrementals the rests of the week.  Sometimes the size and type of data being backed up makes a difference as well.   For example we do daily backups (using BCV copies) of our 2+ TB Production Database.