Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Alternate restore server

2008-04-03 17:49:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Alternate restore server
From: "York, Bill, DoIT" <Bill.York AT state.nm DOT us>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:28:53 -0600
Hi all,

I have a configuration question. My NBU experience is limited. This is NBU 5.1
MP6.

=== Goal ===
I would like to push a restore of a client (CLIENT) from the master server
(MASTER) to another server (DEST). DEST is normally backed up using media
server (MEDIA). This is primarily for restores if, e.g., CLIENT craters.

=== Servers ===
MASTER: Win2k3
MEDIA: Solaris 9
CLIENT: Win2k3
DEST: Win2K3

=== Network Config ===
MASTER is on the 10.1.1.0 network
DEST is on 10.1.1.0 and 192.1.68.1.0 networks
MEDIA and CLIENT are on the 192.168.1.0 network
There are firewalls between the two networks
        MEDIA -- 13782 --> CLIENT
        CLIENT - 13720 --> MASTER

=== Problem ===
When I open BAR on MASTER, I choose MASTER as the server and CLIENT as the
source. The images come up correctly. I then pick DEST as the destination. I
map a drive on MASTER to DEST and specify that mapped drive as the "Restore
Everything to a Different Location" option. The backup launches fine and the
tape mounts, however it eventually times out with a "cannot connect on
socket."

I tried using MEDIA as the server, but cannot view the images (cannot connect
on socket).

=== Question ===
What the heck am I doing wrong? Why am I not a farmer?

------------
Bill York
Enterprise Storage Systems Supervisor
State of NM - Dept. of IT
desk: 505.827.2716
cell: 505.660.3024

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of
Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned
by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.