Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Quarterly Backups and Calendar Schedule

2008-04-02 03:30:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Quarterly Backups and Calendar Schedule
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 03:16:28 -0400
> > of the devil.  Real Men will use frequency-based.  Real Men with
> > purchasing authority will buy an external, industrial-strength,
> > general-purpose scheduler for their enterprise.
>
> [...] IMHO, "external, industrial strength, general purpose
> scheduler[s]" are
> designed for general purpose use and not designed for NBU -- and will
> never approach the level of utilization that NBU will get out of your
> resources.  I'd say save that money and spend it on data protection
> management software.

Actually, I was going for the laugh.

That said, my introduction to NetBackup was taking over an Oracle shop
that added NetBackup; I couldn't abide the thought of the backup
software shutting down databases (this is pre-OEBU, pre-RMAN) rather
than the needs of the database controlling the backup.

The respect for complex external schedulers stems from environments
where a) backup is one step in a business process incorporating
significant dependency logic, b) precise date logic and knowledge of
external events is required and c) pathological servers with hundreds of
filesystems.  I expect there are others.